Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Born Again

I don't know if everyone has the new Facebook timeline yet or not, but my profile does. On the right side of your profile, you now have the ability to pick which year of your Facebook existence you want to jump to and explore. Mine goes all the way back to year 2005, which is kind of a trip to think about...I've had a facebook for almost 7 years...almost a third of my life. But below my last date of "2005," it says "born" and gives you the option to click it. If you do click it, it scrolls aaaall the way down past every other year to a little screen that just says your birthday.

I think this "born" function is kind of interesting. It doesn't really serve a purpose on your profile...as in, it doesn't show you your first status update or first profile picture or first friend or anything else you might associate with being "born" on Facebook. It just says your birthday. This makes me feel two things...one, that Facebook only put that little button there to remind us that we were once born into Facebook as a sort of rebirth into our virtual selves (which we are now wholly consumed by), and two, since this button only takes you to a screen with your birthday, perhaps being born on Facebook is synonymous with being born into the actual world. Kind of gives me an eerie feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment