Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bright Spots and Struggles in Japan, Part 1

I want to spend more time reflecting on things I like about Japan, and things I've struggled with. Each week, I'm going to try to reflect on five positive thing, and one thing that "needs improvement." Part one...

Bright Spots

  1. Many teachers have told me that one of my students in particular has a crush on me.  Everyday, he comes to my office and tries to speak in English with me for a few minutes.  Sometimes he'll write things in English on his hand and try to slyly read it without me noticing (I always notice).  But usually he will come with something new to talk about.  One of the teachers I work with, who is his main english teacher, told me that she gave him an oral speaking exam a few days ago and his English is incredibly better than it was before.  She attributed his progress to our daily chats.  It was the first time where I really felt like I had succeeded as a teacher. 
  2. The area I live in is beautiful.  Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine that places more beautiful than this can exist in the world.  I take lots of pictures of it here, but I don't really see any locals doing the same.  But the other day, I saw a Japanese man's car pulled to the side of the ride while he was standing outside of it, taking a picture of something that perhaps he thought was special.  It made me happy to know that even though my neighbors have lived here their whole lives, they can still be just as amazed by all the beauty around them as I am.
  3. Whenever I go to the photo places near my house, the workers always remember my name.  It makes me feel more like part of the community instead of just being an observer. 
  4. Getting mail.  This doesn't necessarily reflect on Japan, but I think it still counts.  Every time I get a post card or package or anything in my mailbox, it reminds me of all the people at home that I miss, in a good way.  I appreciate it so much. 
  5. 飲み放題。All you can drink. Most bars have specials like this, where you pay the equivalent of $20-25 and get to drink all you want for 2 hours or sometimes more.  It's.so.awesome.

Struggle
  1. I feel like I have struggled with photography here.  Only because I see so many interesting or beautiful things here that I really want to photograph, but they're often while I'm in the backseat of a quickly moving car or in some way unable to get.  It silently frustrates me sometimes, but I think I need to go off by myself more and not be afraid to pull over every few minutes when I see something special. 

1 comment:

  1. i sat down this morning to take a look at your adventures in Japan, and just read your entire blog from beginning to end. i just wanted to say, i am grateful for you for more reasons than i can ever name. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete