Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sailing Away

I like to collect greeting cards. I think it's really interesting and cool how a few words tied to some graphics can speak bounds about certain topics...love, tragedy, celebrations, and everything in between. I remember a card I bought back in high school that had a haunting illustration of a ship at sea with the words "horizons change" on the front and "so do we" inscribed inside. It was my favorite card for awhile and I'm pretty sure I ended up giving it to my now ex-boyfriend for our anniversary or something (It didn't really have anything to do with our anniversary, but the card was special to me so I thought it would be better than a cheesy anniversary card, even though it seemed like a breakup card now that I think about it).

Anyway...I've been thinking a lot lately about myself and my surroundings and how drastically each of those things has changed in the past few years. My entire life and perspective have changed incredibly in the past 6-12 months. I try to ponder where the turning point was...what exactly made my views change on certain entities, people, and organizations. Usually I can pinpoint a moment or time when the fork in the road was born, but now I am not so sure. I'm not sad, maybe just a little confused. Actually, I am sad. Only because now I feel like I have to watch a lot of really great people go through the same experiences I have. Sometimes I wonder if they'll come out of it alive, wondering the same things I am. Or maybe they'll get caught too far into the riptide and drown. That's what scares me most. To me, everyone's drowning. To everyone else, they're just splashing around and I'm walking off a plank. Ah well, 6 more weeks and this will all be over (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment