Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Japan: Explorations Down South

My calligraphy teacher is a serious badass. He's won tons of "best in show" awards in our region and has shown his calligraphy in museums in Tokyo. Usually, he teaches my friend and I each week, but today when I walked into our little classroom, I saw framed calligraphy pieces strewn all around the room, with a stack of loose papers by his side. He wanted to show us many of his own works. All of the thick pieces of paper had haikus he had drawn on them, and he probably went through 15 different ones, showing us each character and describing its meaning. They were all so...elegant. They bore only a few words, but carried so much meaning with them. Afterward, he asked us which our favorite was. I knew exactly what mine was, and when I told him, he happened to have a couple of signed "practice" versions in his stack that we got to keep! To me, the haiku represents the fragile life of something that at once was beautiful, but eventually meets its own end, falling back to earth.
             ___________________________________________________________________

This is the haiku, first in Japanese and then the translation:

さくらさくら
さくさくら 
ちるさくら

Cherry Blossoms, Cherry Blossoms
Blooming Cherry Blossoms
Falling Cherry Blossoms
___________________________________________________________________

And now, the last installment of pictures from the trip I took in January with one of my best friends. We went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, and Osaka for about two weeks. I live roughly eight hours by bus from Tokyo, and about twice that from all those other places we went. It was really fun and definitely made me appreciate Japan in even more ways. Enjoy the pictures! I am off to Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia next week, so expect something new when I get back. Until then!

Cameras: Nikon FM2, Nikon FM10
Film: Portra 400, Ilford Delta 3200


Previous: Kansai Trip, Pt. 1, Kansai Trip, Pt. 2


Photobucket
Photobucket
There are tons of awesome staircases in Japan.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This was when we went to see Justice in Osaka on our last night. Amazingly fun!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The friend I traveled with has the initials, "MK." Well, so did every taxi in Kyoto. It was like his kingdom. ...Of taxis.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Kyoto's International Manga Museum. It was FULL of every kind of manga and comic book you could imagine. And even more filled with heaps of people, of all ages, sitting around and reading comic books from the shelves, sitting on staircases, chairs, carpets, anywhere.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is my friend, Michael's first time eating natto, which are fermented soybeans. They are pretty notorious in Japan for being the kind of food you either hate or love. It smells like a mixture of feet and blue cheese and the consistency is really gooey, as you can see.
Photobucket
This deer only had one eye.
Photobucket
This is Kengo. He was situated in the bunk beneath mine at one of our hostels, and while I'm sitting on my bunk, I hear my friend Michael casually ask him, "So, what's your name?" And from there we all chatted for awhile and went out together for the next couple nights. He was a cool guy.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


-m :)

1 comment:

  1. wow crosswalk under the bridge.. also train tracks through the glass is way sick too!

    ReplyDelete