Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Burst of Energy

Very busy week. Just needed to write for a second to let it out so I can begin my homework and studying.

Hokay, sooo I'm doing SPOP interviews for the next 3-4 weeks (ho.ly.shit). More than 600 people applied, meaning we are each going to be doing somewhere around 60 hours of interviewing, not including the actual selection of staff. And this is on top of working 20 hours a week at my job, being a Vice President in my sorority, being on Panhellenic, and trying to get above a 3.5 this quarter.

And yet, rather than feeling drained, nervous, or worried, I am excited. Excited, because I get to work with 4 other people that feel excited instead of drained, nervous, or worried.
Excited because I am being mentored by mike knox and Jill Halvaks, two people I have immense respect for and constantly feel inspired just to be around.
Excited because every time I walk to the interview room and see someone sitting outside, waiting to be let in for their interview, I imagine myself saying hi to them now, and then giving them a giant hug in 6 weeks at our first training, after they made it on staff.
Excited because sometimes you'll meet a person in an interview that is perfect for SPOP and I am so overjoyed at the thought of being surrounded by 130 people like that, and watching them each grow into something even more beautiful.
Excited to quit my job in four and a half months to work full time for something that I have cared about since my freshman year.
Excited to soon make 130 nametags for each staffer and probably pausing at each one to reflect on how proud I am of them and how moving SPOP will be in their life.

I've only done five interviews so far, so if you see me next week or the week after and I seem worn out, remind me how I pinched myself the morning after I found out I was accepted as a Coordinator because I didn't feel like it was real. Don't let me take this for granted. Remind me that it is real and that I love it. I really do. I hope I never forget that.


No comments:

Post a Comment