Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reassurance

I am the manager of a Gelato store in Fashion Island. The pay is pretty good for the amount of work it entails, the hours are ridiculously flexible, and the people I work with are pretty cool, but I have worked here for about 4.5 years and I'm starting to get sick of the monotony of it.

Anyway, I am currently working with one other girl, Natalie, and asked her if she enjoyed working here. She said yes, and that compared to her other jobs it's really fun and the people are cool. I agree. Then I asked her if she ever feels like her work here has little purpose. And her answer to that question was something I'd always thought, but never knew if other really felt the same impact of it. She said that even though it's small deeds, we have the opportunity to make someone's day every time we serve them. And that just being nice and attentive truly makes people feel appreciated. She said that she knows this because her day perks up whenever customers are extra nice or sincere to her. I totally agree and I think that's what I needed to remind myself that be it small, I am not wasting my time here. Maybe I don't see the concrete results or know if I'm making an impact, but sometimes you just have to believe that you're doing good.

I love working with intuitive and smart people.

No comments:

Post a Comment