Saturday, March 27, 2010

damn...

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, you realize once again that you have no idea what you want to do with your life.

I'm bad at that -- making important decisions that will impact me forever. I like to take things each day with few plans, just kind of being able to see where things take me. I feel like there's a lot of pressure to decide, to figure out your place, your contribution to society, the legacy that you'll leave behind. Maybe I'm less concerned with leaving a mark on the world or making my name something to remember. I want to take one small step at a time, breathe in everything around me, and do things everyday that are new and majestic. I can't imagine being tied down to a career forever. Who creates these standards? Why do we keep following them?

And it's scaring me now that I only have about a year of college left and once that year is over...nothing. That's the point where I'm supposed to pick what I'm going to begin doing forever, or at least for a little while. I don't think grad school is the best idea when you don't have any ideas. I wish there was never this pressure to find one thing and stick with it. Wouldn't we all be happier doing a medley of things that surprise us? That are fresh and that we have the ability to learn from everyday?

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't have to feel the pressure to plan your life, that should be the fun part. My only wish for you is to have those goals you have in college and to make it an objective to share yourself with as many people as possible. The world needs your love.

    Thanks for the comments, btw. It's great hearing your experiences in all this.

    ReplyDelete